In my previous blog post, I started to get into the Living logo. I decided to do a post solely showing the living logo as it was a large and intricate piece to the redesign. Below are pictures from start to finish of what went into creating it. The final structure is 7.5' tall by 6' wide by 2' deep. The plants are supported by an irrigation system and 630 LEC grow light that is timed to be on from 5am-7am & 6pm-10pm.
If you have any questions or want to know issues that came up leave a comment below!
In April of 2019, I was tasked to revamp Hawthorne Gardening Company's (HGC) lobby. The goal was to re-brand from Sunlight Supply to HGC and inject more plants within the space. Below is how the lobby looked when I was given the project:
As you can see above, there were no plants visible and it was quite "dentist office" as it was described in planning meetings. After a few meetings with tons of ideas tossed around, the executives agreed on what to include and what was not wanted. Below is an Adobe Photoshop manipulation of the above photo with the wanted ideas as a total concept.
As you can see they wanted a night-to-day transformation of their lobby using plants & large format graphics (my speciality). There was not much back and forth on this concept except the left walls, especially behind the living logo. That wall was eventually wrapped with an image requested by the vice-president; off design.
The living logo in the above concept image was generated in Google SketchUp. I made the model to scale for construction parts breakdown as well as Photoshop-ing ease. I find it easier to get approvals when I can say "Scale Accurate".
After approval, I setoff to get the plants growing/cloning first. I then calculated and ordered all the material needed for printing and placed the order with Fellers. Then, I got all the print files setup for the large format prints. The files were printed, laminated, process and installed one wall at a time as the supplies came in. Once the plants were growing/establishing, I built the living logo from (16) 2x4's at home. Each 2x4 was planed and cut to the correct length via the cut list generated. The 2x4's were joined with 2" deck screws as well as 1" wood screws for the slats. Once assembled, the entire structure was painted white and the decks were coated in rubber due to coming in contact with water frequently. The front and back on the structure were designed, punched, and powder-coated in-house at HGC out of aluminum; shout out Christopher Reynolds for all his support on the project. The structure was broken down and brought to HGC to be reassembled...
Once reassembled, the structure was carried down (by hand) to the lobby and put in place. I then wired the lobby with a Sun System LEC 630 and timer. The timer was programmed around working hours to supplement the light needed for the plants. I used a 630 because it was the same lighting type/power used in the grow rooms. Once I confirmed the timer was running correctly, I put in the plants. After they showed resilience towards their new home, I plumed the structure with irrigation. There is 24 drip emitters emanating from a mainline that is hooked up to a pump. I place the pump in a 5 gallon bucket of nutrient water which is then dispersed via the drip-lines.